- Shared network drives
- Cloud-based document repositories (e.g., Google Docs, Zoho Docs, etc.)
- Blogs and microblogs (e.g., Wordpress, Yammer, etc.)
- Content management systems (CMS)
- Document management systems (DMS)
- Digital asset management systems (DAMS)
- Corporate library management systems (LMS)
- Knowledge management systems (KM)
- Enterprise message boards
- Enterprise search engines
- Enterprise portals
- Enterprise content management (ECM) systems (e.g., Microsoft SharePoint)
- Enterprise social networking (ESN)
I contributed a guest article to eWeek recently about this challenge. It's what we at Inmagic call the "information access gap," which you can see illustrated below.
In my article I explain the business realities behind this diagram, and discuss the latest knowledge management thinking to bridge the information access gap and break down the information silos that reduce productivity and efficiency. Flip over to eWeek to give it a read, and let me know what you think. Does this problem sound familiar? How are you trying to bridge the divide between knowledge and your organization's workers?