Search Blog:

Why information management is top of mind for an HP research analyst

Rounding out our cast of SLA interviewees we have Sarah Shulhafer, Research Analyst with Hewlett-Packard.

We posted our podcast with Sarah last week and heard about her role within HP as an information professional, what challenges she is foreseeing in meeting clients needs, and how she plans to overcome them.

In case you missed it, skip back over to our podcast or read our transcript below.

Janelle: Greetings, everyone. I'm Janelle Kozyra, blogger for Inmagic. I'm at the SLA 2011 Conference and I am with Sarah Shulhafer. Sarah, what company are you with and what role do you have there?

Sarah: I'm a Research Analyst with Hewlett-Packard.

Janelle: And what brings you to the show this year?
Sarah: I'm at the show this year just to learn about new and up-and-coming trends for information professionals and what's going on in the industry and connect with my colleagues and I guess that's about it.

Janelle: Have you been to SLA before?

Sarah: I've been once in Seattle a few years ago.

Janelle: Okay, great. So this year's show, the theme is Future Ready, so there's a lot of discussion about what are some of the trends that are going to be impacting the industry over the coming year, three years, five years and beyond. So what trends do you see impacting HP, let's say in the coming year?

Sarah: Well, I can't really say much about HP overall, but my organization specifically, just from the information role, information professional standpoint, I would say that just learning how to add more value for our clients internally with our company is a major thing that we're looking out for. And just how to make sure that we're delivering exactly what they need as their needs change over time.

Janelle: So what sorts of maybe changes or investments do you think you're planning to make sure that your customers are getting the value that you want them to be getting?

Sarah: Well, mainly I think it's about my colleagues and I understanding what those needs are, especially as there's more work competition from outside information sources to prove that we know where to get the information. We know how to distill it and analyze it and provide insights to the business that are important to our clients.

Janelle: So what sorts of challenges do you see, though, as you go about doing this?

Sarah: Well, I think that one of the biggest challenges for us is probably learning how to make that role visible to our organization and make sure that they know that we're there to provide them with insights that they can't get other places.

Janelle: And what are their needs exactly that you're seeing?

Sarah: I would say that they are looking for like a higher level of analysis, a higher level of outside generation as opposed to just giving them something that they can find elsewhere. It's like actually going that extra step.

Janelle: Gotcha. Well, thank you Sarah. Enjoy the rest of the show.

Sarah: Thanks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...